Laurens Electric Cooperative will sponsor four Upstate high school students to participate in The Electric Cooperatives of South Carolina’s Virtual Youth Experience June 21-25, 2021.
This five-day virtual leadership program connects students with state and federal leaders, and offers opportunities to collaborate with other students from across the state in competitions to win prizes, including a $5,000 scholarship.
Submit this application by Friday, February 5, 2021.
Student Application Instructions
- Applicant must be a high school junior or sophomore at time of application.
- Applicant must reside in Laurens, Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, Abbeville, Newberry, or Union counties, SC. Applicant DOES NOT have to receive electricity from Laurens Electric to apply.
- Applicant’s parents, guardians, or relatives may not be employed by or be trustees of Laurens Electric Cooperative. However, students whose parents are employees or trustees of the cooperative are eligible to participate in a separate competition. Contact Laurie Riser at firstname.lastname@example.org or (864) 683-1684 for more information.
- An application and one letter of reference must be submitted.
- References and applications should be completed and returned by 5 p.m. on February 5 to LaurieR@LaurensElectric.com, or mailed to Laurie Riser, Laurens Electric Cooperative, Inc., P.O. Box 700, Laurens, SC 29360.
- Candidates will be judged on the basis of their school and community involvement, references and communications skills. If chosen for an interview, a panel of judges will question the applicants concerning their past experiences, plans for the future and knowledge of the Cooperative.
- Four winners will be selected to represent Laurens Electric Cooperative during the Virtual Youth Experience. Alternates will attend if one of the winners is unable to participate.
- Applications and references are due no later than 5 p.m. on February 5. Any applications or references received later than February 5 will not be considered.